Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillps's: Incognito






People that know me, know that I'm the type of person that root's for the villains in most situations. So this series was right up my alley, Incognito by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips is a great arc with some disappointment (I will explain that later). But first lets get into the writer and the artist Brubaker!!! what can i say about this guy but what a awesome writer, my first book I ever read by him was a Daredevil run and I loved it, his way of telling stories in a crime noir style is just genius (which is mostly in a narrative way). In my opinion the best crime noir book I ever read by him was Criminal and with the art of Sean Phillips it spells the recipe for a dynamic duo. They bought that same type of fire with this arc, the story is about a villain that decides to go through a rehab program to change his life around, but the program made him "normal" and he hated it, he decided that he could not live with the fact that he is not the main topic of the world, so he decides to do something about it. Instead of going back down the same road he was on he chooses to better his life and take the high road. Needless to say that didn't last long and his past comes back to hunt him, that's just about all I can tell you without this being a spoiler blog. Phillips artwork in this arc reminds me a little of my favorite artist Alex Ross with his life-like style that's very appealing to the eye and his full page battle panels are easy to follow and left me wanting to see more art by this guy(not just covers). Now to what I didn't like, the plot was great and I enjoyed running to the comic store just to find this title, the build up kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Then I got to the conclusion and I was a little disappointed the ending seemed like it was rushed, Brubaker to me should have took a little bit more time in building the ending that would have made this arc great but due that flaw I couldn't give this series 100% approval its more of a 85% compared to other things I have read by this great team. Bottom line BRING BACK CRIMINAL PLEASE!!!! and you will always have a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment